Verse Of the Day

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Fig Muffins

Ciao everyone!

Do you know what season it is??

No, I'm not talking about the answer related to why I feel like I'm dying all the time by heat exhaustion

I'm talking about....FIG SEASON!!

And let me tell you, the fig trees know it full well.

There are four pretty mature trees growing at my parent's house, and they are GOING CRAZY.

And it's fantastic:)

For one thing, I am happy to report that my taste buds, that at one time reviled raw figs, now love love love them:) Which is good, because every single day it's like it rained figs into the tree branches. Like whole buckets of em.

Another thing to tell you about the trees is where they came from... Originally, they were my Nana's. She was born in Italy. Very cool:) Then, my uncle and dad took clippings from her trees and have completely grown entirely beautiful, big, bountiful trees now in remembrance of her<3

Also, as far as the harvesting, my mom and I have been trying to figure out ways to utilize the greatness before they all go bad... so we made a muffin recipe!!!!! After a bit of tweaking, we have greatness for the recipe books:) Also, we tried making them gluten free, which also came out fantastically!

Here is the recipe... enjoy:)

Fresh Fig Muffins
(adapted from foodandcheerandsong.blogspot.com)
Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour (or GF all-purpose)
1 cup old fashioned oats
2 tablespoons flax meal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup coconut milk (carton, unsweetened)
2/3 cup sucanat
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup chopped fresh figs (about 6 medium)
Directions:
  1)      Combine flour, oats, flax, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
  2)      Combine milk, sucanat, oil, vinegar, and vanilla in a separate bowl and mix until most of the sucanat has dissolved.
  3)      Stir wet into dry and mix until combined.
  4)     Mash about half of the chopped figs, and then stir in. Let batter rest about 7 minutes while oven heats to 375 and you prepare a 12-cup muffin tin with liners.
  5)      Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until done.




Ciao for now!
-TheRedLady-

P.S. after making them, I ran the recipe through an online calculator to get the nutrition facts.. here are the basic numbers on what was found:)


Per muffin
Cal: 150  Fat: 2.5  Carb: 29.9  Fiber: 3.3  Sug: 15.5  Protein: 3.4  Calcium: 6.9%  Iron: 4.3%




No comments:

Post a Comment